» N2Care’s MedCottage a Portable Dwelling for Elder Relatives

N2Care’s MedCottage a Portable Dwelling for Elder Relatives

Gene L. Osofsky, of the law firm Osofsky & Osofsky, offers some pertinent commentary about a biometric shelter that now has a working prototype.

Hayward, CA (Law Firm Newswire) October 8, 2010 - Caring for aging family members now has a new wrinkle. Last month, a small Salem, Virginia-based firm called N2Care trotted out its first prototype of a portable, high-tech dwelling intended to provide temporary shelter for a sick or elderly relative in their family’s backyard. Filled with biometric technology, the 12-by-24-foot prototype would allow a family or health-care providers to monitor the condition of an aging or disabled relative while foregoing costlier options such as confinement in a long term care facility. The brainchild of a Methodist minister, the MedCottage contains air-filtration systems, video links, devices that allow the remote monitoring of a patient’s vital signs and sensors that could detect an occupant’s fall.

“It’s new, but it’s intriguing,” says Gene L. Osofsky of Osofsky & Osofsky, a California-based firm geared to the practices of estate planning and the intricacies of elder law. The concept inherent in the MedCottage has already been endorsed by the Virginia General Assembly via HB1307, which would supersede local zoning laws and allow families to install such a dwelling on their property with a physician’s order.

But will the concept catch on beyond Virginia? It has also received a cautious endorsement from AARP; the lobbying group for Americans aged 50+, which has said that local zoning laws pose one of the bigger obstacles to making such dwellings a practical solution to caring for aging family members in what it calls “accessory dwelling units.”

Osofsky has a wait and see attitude about the MedCottage, and notes objections harbored by the temporary shelter’s naysayers. “Detractors have taken to calling the innovation the ‘granny pod’ and predicted that accessory dwelling units could create conflicts between neighbors who find the dwellings unsightly,” Osofsky says. “And some critics also worry that the setup could foster instances of neglect involving the persons placed in the dwellings.”

But as upwards of 80 million baby boomers edge toward retirement age, so-called “granny pods” might prove to be a viable alternative to nursing homes. “It’s a lot like a modular hospital room that one might find in an aid mission,” Osofsky says. “And there’s also a comfort factor involved for the occupant of such dwellings – their loved ones are only a few steps away.”

To learn more or to contact a Medi-Cal Planning Lawyer, California Elder Law Attorney, or California Elder Law Lawyer, visit http://www.lawyerforseniors.com.

Law Offices of Osofsky & Osofsky
1290 "B" Street, Suite 208
Hayward, CA 94541
Phone: (510) 247-2555

  • How to Distribute an Estate’s Personal Property Fairly
    <p>Q. Our father appointed me as executor of his estate, and I want to distribute his personal possessions among the four of us children in a way that is fair. Any suggestions as how I might do this? A. Yes. I assume by your question that your father did not leave any specific direction in... <a href="http://www.lawyerforseniors.com/how-to-distribute-an-estates-personal-property-fairly/" class="more-link" title="Read How to Distribute an Estate’s Personal Property Fairly">Read More »</a></p>
    <p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.lawyerforseniors.com/how-to-distribute-an-estates-personal-property-fairly/">How to Distribute an Estate’s Personal Property Fairly</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.lawyerforseniors.com">Lawyer For Seniors</a>.</p>
  • Unmarried Partners Should Give Estate Planning Top Priority
    <p>Q.  My partner and I have been in a Non Marital relationship for approximately 10 years. Unfortunately, she is showing signs of early dementia, and her children from her former marriage are trying to take over her financial and personal life in a manner which is not in her best interest. We do not have... <a href="http://www.lawyerforseniors.com/nonmarital-partners-give-estate-planning-top-priority/" class="more-link" title="Read Unmarried Partners Should Give Estate Planning Top Priority">Read More »</a></p>
    <p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.lawyerforseniors.com/nonmarital-partners-give-estate-planning-top-priority/">Unmarried Partners Should Give Estate Planning Top Priority</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.lawyerforseniors.com">Lawyer For Seniors</a>.</p>
  • Your Rights Upon Hospital Discharge
    <p>Q.  My husband was recently admitted to the hospital following a stroke. The hospital now wants to discharge him in two days, and I believe he needs to remain longer. What are our rights? We are both on Medicare. A. Unfortunately, hospitals have a strong financial incentive to discharge Medicare patients as soon as possible.... <a href="http://www.lawyerforseniors.com/rights-upon-hospital-discharge/" class="more-link" title="Read Your Rights Upon Hospital Discharge">Read More »</a></p>
    <p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.lawyerforseniors.com/rights-upon-hospital-discharge/">Your Rights Upon Hospital Discharge</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.lawyerforseniors.com">Lawyer For Seniors</a>.</p>

See other news sources publishing this article. BETA | Tags: , , ,

Get headlines from Law Firm Newswire sent right to your inbox.

* indicates required