» Changes in Traumatic Injury Benefits Good for Veterans

Changes in Traumatic Injury Benefits Good for Veterans

Brandon, FL (Law Firm Newswire) November 7, 2011 - Changes to the law now make it possible for service members to receive traumatic injury benefits regardless of where they were serving when the injury occurred.

The Veterans Benefit Improvement Act of 2010 opens the door for service members who served outside of Operation Enduring Freedom or Operation Iraqi Freedom to receive the same traumatic injury benefits, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

“This is great news for our country’s service men and women,” said Brandon veterans disability lawyer David Magann, who specializes in veteran disability claims and is a Marine Corps veteran. “Service members who were originally denied claims because they served here at home or elsewhere overseas are now eligible.”

Each branch of the military is reviewing claims previously denied because the injury did not happen in OEF/OIF and is reaching out to those individuals, according to the VA. The law went into effect on Oct. 1, 2011. Qualifying dates for the injuries are between Oct. 7, 2001 and Nov. 30, 2005.

“File immediately and be persistent,” Magann said. “Filing for benefits can be slow and frustrating.”

The Traumatic Injury Protection Benefit is known as TSGLI. It provides a payment ranging from $25,000 to $100,000 to service members sustaining certain severe traumatic injuries resulting in losses, according to the VA.

These losses include:
o amputations
o limb salvage
o paralysis
o burns
o loss of sight, hearing or speech
o facial reconstruction
o 15-day continuous hospitalization
o coma
o daily living activities decreased due to traumatic brain injury or other traumatic injuries

The change in the law also means that members of the National Guard and the Reserves will be eligible as long as their injuries happened while they were in service, according to the VA. Because the new law is retroactive, Magann expects the VA to be flooded with requests from service members injured in the qualifying period.

“The VA will have a lot of paperwork to go through,” Magann said. “It will be imperative for your claims to be filed properly.”

It is important that the medical evidence of a service member’s current condition be connected to the in-service event, Magann noted. “Without this ‘service connection,’ it is virtually impossible to receive compensation,” he said. It is necessary to provide the VA with doctor and hospital reports documenting the traumatic injury and dependency records like marriages and children’s birth certificates.

“I expect the Veterans Benefit Improvement Act is welcome news to some members of our nation’s military who paid a heavy price for their service with a traumatic injury,” Magann said.

To learn more about the Brandon veteran’s disability attorney David W. Magann and his law practice, go to http:// www.tampaveteranslawyer.com/ or call 813-657-9175.

David W. Magann, P.A.
156 W. Robertson St.
Brandon, FL 33511
Call: (813) 657-9175

View Larger Map

  • Camp Lejeune: Water Contamination Update, Presumptive Conditions
    From the 1950s through the 1980s, people living or working at the U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, were potentially exposed to drinking water contaminated with industrial solvents, benzene, and other chemicals. VA has established a presumptive service connection for Veterans, Reservists, and National Guard members exposed to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune from August 1, 1953 through December 31, 1987 who later developed one of the following eight diseases: Adult leukemia Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes Bladder cancer Kidney cancer Liver cancer Multiple myeloma Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma Parkinson’s disease Presently, these conditions are the only […]
  • How to File a Complaint With the Department of Veterans Affairs
    Different aspects of Veterans Administration (VA) operations fall under the responsibility of different agencies, you don’t simply file a complaint with the VA, rather, you file a complaint with the agency, bureau or person that oversees that aspect of the VA operations. The following are the general aspects of filing a complaint and your specific complaint may vary depending on the VA operations you are encountering. Health Care Complaints If you have a dispute about a patient’s health care, call the patient advocate at the VA medical center involved. A patient advocate is an employee responsible for taking your complaint and working […]
  • PTSD, "Post" Means After And At Any Time
    Government analysis finds Veterans with PTSD can suffer for decades before acknowledging the disorder. The year 2014 marks the 100th-year anniversary of the beginning of World War I, the so-called war to end all wars. And in a bit of irony, a study was released on August 8 that has found that, like the consequences of the “Great War,” the after-effects of combat stress among veterans, just like the after-effects of old wars upon conflicts years later, seems to linger for decades. The study, which was commissioned by the Department of Veterans Affairs, tracked veterans from as far back as the Vietnam […]

See other news sources publishing this article. BETA | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Get headlines from Law Firm Newswire sent right to your inbox.

* indicates required