» Florida Courts Can Now Change Wills if Mistakes Are Found

Florida Courts Can Now Change Wills if Mistakes Are Found

Brandon, FL (Law Firm Newswire) December 27, 2011 - Florida’s new probate laws may lead to more litigation over wills that used to be considered unambiguous. The new laws went into effect this fall, so the state has yet to see how often the new rule will be tested. But the potential for more modifications of wills is significant.

“Courts will be busier dealing with these new rules, but it will help bring out the truth in the case of unintended discrepancies,” said Brandon estate planning lawyer Reginald Osenton. “Ultimately, this could open the floodgates to a lot of new litigation.”

It is a substantial change from the previous law that allowed contests in the case of trusts, but if a will was considered unambiguous, then it was uncontestable.

“It is important to get to the wishes of the deceased,” Osenton said. “The more careful you are when putting the will together in the first place, the less likely your children will have to spend the money later on fighting about it in court.”

Florida Statute Section 732.615 allows any interested party to petition the court to reform a will to correct mistakes if they can prove with clear and convincing evidence that the will does not convey the true intent of the deceased.

“I’m interested to see how the court defines what constitutes clear and convincing evidence in these cases,” Osenton said.

The law was changed so that the court could amend a will in the case of a mistake of fact or law. Previously, the will only could be changed if it was ambiguous.

Brandon estate planning attorney Reginald Osenton is experienced in helping clients put together wills and trusts that meet their specific goals. Osenton Law Offices handles probate cases throughout Florida. To learn more or to contact a Brandon estate planning attorney or to contact a Brandon lawyer, visit http://www.brandonlawoffice.com.

Osenton Law Office, PA
500 Lithia Pinecrest Road
Brandon, Florida 33511
Call: (813) 654-5777

  • Why you may need a parental power of attorney
    If you are the parent of young children, you may occasionally need to leave them in the care of a close friend during a quick business trip, or perhaps with the grandparents while you take a kid-free holiday. Or, you may routinely leave your children in the care of a nanny. When and if you […]
  • Special Limits on Wage Garnishment
    In a previous blog post, http://www.brandonlawoffice.com/2016/06/heres-how-much-of-your-wages-can-be-garnished-to-pay-your-debts, we covered the broad limitations that federal and state laws place on wage garnishment. Wage garnishment is when a creditor sues you to have part of your income diverted directly to them to pay your debts. There are certain general limitations on how much of your income may be […]
  • Here’s how much of your wages can be garnished to pay your debts
    If you do not pay your debts, your creditors may try to take a portion of your income directly from your employer. This is called wage garnishment. Fortunately, there are limits to how much of your income may be garnished so that you can hopefully keep paying your basic living expenses. The limits are based […]

See other news sources publishing this article. BETA | Tags: , , ,

Get headlines from Law Firm Newswire sent right to your inbox.

* indicates required