» More Adult Children Caring for Parents, Agrees Michigan Elder Law Attorney

More Adult Children Caring for Parents, Agrees Michigan Elder Law Attorney

Bloomfield Hills, MI (Law Firm Newswire) January 25, 2013 – According to the National Family Caregivers Association (NFCA), one in five Americans over age 50 is caring for an aging parent or parents.

That’s more than 10 million U.S. adults paying for care or overseeing care provided by outside agencies.

“While there was a shift in the 1970s and 1980s toward senior living, more people are expressing an interest to stay in their own homes,” says Michigan elder law attorney Christopher J. Berry. “Holding on to personal items and a sense of ‘home’ seem to be the most common reasons given, but it also has to do with a sense of independence that is important for so many people.”

Long-term care facilities and senior living environments are often viewed as too costly for seniors needing care, while the loss of retirement funds and the economic downturn have contributed to people retiring in less lavish circumstances. More older individuals are choosing to — or finding they have to — move in with their adult children.

A report by Focus On the Family indicates that families are providing as much as 80 percent of long-term care; although they may be outsourcing some tasks, they are covering the majority of care themselves. And while cohabitation arrangements can benefit everyone involved, the arrangement tends to work best when some details are worked out beforehand.

Some questions to explore before combining households include: Who is charge of the bills? Will the elderly parent contribute? If so, how much? How will the household run in terms of group meals and separate meal times? Are there young children in the household? How will this affect them? Will there be childcare provided by the grandparent and, if so, how formal of an arrangement is that? How will the children be parented, disciplined, etc, when there are multiple sets of “parents” in the house? What medical needs must be accounted for? Whose responsibility is it to have medications filled and picked up? If an aging parent needs supervision or care during the day, how will that be managed?

There are ways to share the responsibilities of caring for an aging adult. Work with a sibling, reach out to community groups, and look into possible adult care options, such as transportation help or daily group outings, some of which may be covered by insurance options.

“The best advice I can give is to work on advance planning as much as possible,” says Berry. “Anticipate as many of the issues as you can before they arise. This will help make a smoother transition.”

Learn more at http://www.michiganelderlawattorney.com/

The Elder Care Firm of Christopher J. Berry
2550 S Telegraph Rd.
Ste 255
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302
Local: 248.481.4000
Toll free: 855-41-Elder (855-413-5337)

  • Massive Changes to Medicaid Planning in Michigan For Married Couples using Sole Benefit Trusts
    Today, the Department of Human Services made huge sweeping, unforeseen changes to Medicaid planning for Michigan married couples with their change in analysis of the Sole Benefit Trust and how it fits into the asset calculation. According to a communication from Terrence M. Beurer, Director, Field Operations Administration, all SBO Trust assets are deemed countable […]
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman Leaves his Children Zilch…$35Million to his Partner
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman died at the young age of 46, with three children, all under the age of 11.  With his estimated $35 million fortune in his estate, he made the bold decision to disinherit his children, leaving the bulk of his $35 million to his partner, Mimi O’Donnell, according to an article on Today.com. […]
  • Is your Michigan Caregiver for Your Senior a Felon?
    According to a disturbing article in the Daily Reporter, convicted felons are being paid to take care of our Michigan seniors, according to a staffer at the Area Agency on Aging. Melissa Franklin of the Area Agency on Aging states, “We have multiple care providers now who are on the sex offender registry.  There is […]
  • BIG NEWS: Supreme Court Holds Inherited IRAs are Not Protected Anymore
    In the big news department, the Supreme Court held in Clark v. Rameker that inherited IRA’s are not asset protected.  There were differing opinions on whether an inherited IRA would be protected against bankruptcy, however it is now clear that they are not. Here’s the facts, at death Ms. Heffrom owned an IRA worth about […]

See other news sources publishing this article. BETA | Tags: , , , , , ,

Get headlines from Law Firm Newswire sent right to your inbox.

* indicates required