Infected Doctor Transmits Hep B to Patients
Cleveland, OH (Law Firm Newswire) March 13, 2013 – It had to happen. A surgeon infects a patient with Hepatitis B.
“When someone goes to the hospital for an operation, they do not expect to come home and find out later they have Hepatitis B. That is what happened to several patients in Virginia, after having joint replacement surgery. Evidently, the surgeon became aware he was infected on submitting to routine blood tests after sticking himself with a needle,” explained Tom Robenalt, a Cleveland medical malpractice lawyer.
In this instance, the doctor had no symptoms, despite having emigrated from a country where there was a higher than usual incidence of Hepatitis B among the population. The negligence part of this case is the surgeon, once made aware of his chronic and infectious disease, kept practicing and ultimately infecting at least two of his patients. Tests are underway to determine if there are more of his patients infected.
“Apparently at least six other patients had been infected previously with the virus, but on testing recently, the disease was not found, making it questionable as to whether or not doctor was the original source of the infection. In a trial situation, the plaintiff’s attorney would make much of the point that past patients of the same doctor were infected, as were current patients of the doctor; not so much of a coincidence,” said Robenalt.
The main question at trial would be how the surgeon could justify putting patients at risk to contract a potentially deadly disease known for causing liver cancer. A medical professional with this type of infectious agent onboard has no place in an operating theater, which is painfully clear given the fact that two patients were definitely infected by the man, even with the usual safety procedures in place.
“Even though the man wore gloves, the disease was still passed to an unsuspecting, innocent patient who got more than they bargained for during surgery,” added Robenalt. A surgeon’s duty is to care for their patients and keep them safe, to follow the accepted standard of care that all surgeons in the same field would provide. “Operating on someone knowing you may pass on a fatal disease is egregious in the extreme.”
Patients that suspect they may have been infected by their doctors need to consult with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer. Do not wait too long. There is a statute of limitations, and if a lawsuit is not filed in time, any action is barred.
Mellino Robenalt LLC
200 Public Sq., Suite 2900
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
Call: (216) 241-1901
- More People Filing Medical Malpractice Claims for Chronic Pain
Both the number of pain management specialists and medical malpractice claims for pain management-related injury and death increased between 1980 and 2012, according to results of a study presented at the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ 2014 Annual Meeting. But one statistic does not explain the other. “We found that pain claims increased by 6.3 percent for every 10 years, whereas the number of pain anesthesiologists increased by only 2.0 percent per 10 years,” Dr. Kelly Pollak told attendees. Since claims have changed in type and increased in severity, researchers hope anesthesiologists and doctors administering analgesics and opioids will take note […]
- Children Become Victims of Medication Mistakes Every Eight Minutes
After reviewing a decade of poison control hotline data, researchers determined that 63,358 children were the victim of a medication mistake each year, Reuters reported. According to Forbes, 400 suffered serious injury and 25 died in that 10 years. Both Forbes and Fox News suggested those numbers may actually have been higher, since some parents may not have realized their mistake, others may have turned to Google instead of the poison control hotline, and still more may have been worried about the police getting involved. Who’s Making These Mistakes and How Can They Be Prevented? “Most studies have focused on […]
- Man Awarded $1.5 Million After Medication Mistake During Botched Cataract Surgery Causes Blindness
A man has been awarded $1.5 million in damages after his surgeon used the wrong drug and blinded him during cataract removal surgery, outpatientsurgery.net recently reported. The surgeon should have used ophthalmic dye VisionBlue; instead, he used the methylene blue his nurse handed him. “Both the nurse and a surgical technician testified that they announced what the drug was before it was given to [the doctor], but he testified that he didn’t hear them,” the article stated. The patient underwent a second procedure and a corneal transplant after the mistake, but neither restored vision to his left eye. He also […]
See other news sources publishing this article. BETA | Tags: Cleveland medical malpractice, Cleveland medical malpractice lawyer, Cleveland whistleblower lawyer, Personal Injury Law Cleveland malpractice lawyer