» Cook County Jury Awards $6.65 Million in Air Base Death

Cook County Jury Awards $6.65 Million in Air Base Death

Chicago, IL (Law Firm Newswire) April 23, 2014 – After a 10-day trial, a Cook County jury awarded $6.65 million to the family of a man who died from a fall at a Kuwait air base.

The award in the wrongful death case against CAV International Inc., a government contractor, came over four years after the death of John Bruce, a Chicago-area resident.

“When negligence is involved, a wrongful death lawsuit is often appropriate to gain compensation for the family of the victim after a horrible accident like this,” says Paul Greenberg, a Chicago wrongful death attorney not involved in the case.

When the accident occurred, Bruce was working for United Airlines as a ramp serviceman at Al-Mubarak Air Base in Kuwait. According to the lawsuit, Bruce was handling cargo from a Boeing 747 on a raised belt loader when an employee of CAV moved it, causing Bruce to fall approximately 12 feet.

Bruce suffered serious injuries to his brain that required surgery and ultimately led to his death. He was declared brain-dead by doctors overseas and flown home. His life support was discontinued at a hospital six days later.

The lawsuit alleged that the CAV employee was distracted by a conversation with others when he moved the loader with Bruce still on it. It further claimed that the company negligently failed to provide proper training and supervision to that employee. The family's attorney said that CAV was responsible for the actions and inaction of the employee.

His widow, Patty Bruce, told news sources that Bruce had worked for United for years as a liaison on charter flights — both for the military and for a number of Chicago sports teams, including the Bears, Cubs and White Sox. At the time of her husband's death, she said that the tragedy never should have occurred and that the family wanted justice. Her attorney has stated that CAV failed to reach out to the family to provide information or closure after the accident, but that the family believed that justice has been served with the jury's award.

Bruce is survived by his wife and two sons. He was 64 years old at the time of his death.

Briskman Briskman & Greenberg
351 West Hubbard Street, Ste 810
Chicago, IL 60654
Phone: 312.222.0010
Facebook: Like Us!
Google+ Contact a Chicago personal injury attorney from Briskman Briskman & Greenberg on Google+.

  • Ford and Nissan Announce Recalls and Obama Administration Proposes NHTSA Budget Increase – Podcast
    Ford and Nissan are collectively recalling almost a million trucks and vans. Plus the Obama administration proposes a budget increase for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on this month’s Chicago Injury Alert.
  • Chicago Bicyclist Fatalities Increase in 2014
    Last year in Chicago, seven bicyclists were killed in collisions with automobiles. That is an increase from three bicyclist fatalities in 2013, even as Mayor Rahm Emanuel has pledged to make Chicago the most bike-friendly city in the country. According to the Chicago Department of Transportation, bicyclist fatalities over the past five years were as ...
  • The attack on workers’ compensation
    Over the past decade, workers’ compensation benefits have deteriorated across the country as states initiate cost-cutting measures. A comprehensive new investigation by ProPublica and NPR reveals that these workers’ comp “reforms” have had a brutal effect: injured workers denied the help they need and taxpayers forced to bear the cost of workplace accidents. The ProPublica ...
  • $20.6 million jury award upheld in birth injury case
    A final appeal has been rejected by a state supreme court, allowing the plaintiffs in a birth injury lawsuit to receive a jury award of $20.6 million to care for their son, who has severe disabilities. The original verdict, in 2012, found that events during the child’s delivery caused oxygen deprivation, resulting in his disabilities. ...
  • Doctor faces investigation after three infant deaths, birth injury lawsuit
    An obstetrician who is now under investigation by a state medical board after the deaths of three babies in home deliveries was also the defendant in a recent birth injury lawsuit that never resolved clearly. The parents of a child who suffered a disability filed the birth injury suit in 2007. The lawsuit alleged that ...

The Chicago Injury Alert Podcast

See other news sources publishing this article. BETA | Tags: , , , , ,



Get headlines from Law Firm Newswire sent right to your inbox.

* indicates required