» Student Visas Come in Many Flavors, Says Houston Immigration Lawyer

Student Visas Come in Many Flavors, Says Houston Immigration Lawyer

Houston, TX (Law Firm Newswire) August 24, 2012 - Student visas offer foreign citizens many benefits to obtain an education in the U.S.

“Students wanting to study in the U.S. have a variety of visas they make take advantage of such as the F-Type, M-Type and J-Type student visas,” said Annie Banerjee, a Houston immigration lawyer.

The purpose of these visas is to allow non-immigrants the chance to stay in the U.S. to get an education. When their program is completed, they must go home. The type of visa to apply for is determined by the kind of education the individual wants to pursue. If they are pursuing academics in college or high school, they require an F-Type visa. For students who want to get an education at a vocational school, they need to fill out paperwork for an M-Type visa, and students in a foreign exchange program need a J-Type visa.

An application for the appropriate visa must not be submitted until the student has been accepted at their school of choice in the U.S.; they follow the same application process to get into those schools as a U.S. citizen and are not accorded any special status.

Once the student has been accepted by the educational institute of their choice, they must make an appointment with a consulate as quickly as possible in order to complete the paperwork for their particular student visa. They should expect an interview and be prepared to pay a fee. The point of the personal interview is to find out if the student also wants to work in the country and/or if they are bringing children and/or a spouse.

“The documentation needed for the consulate appointment includes an online non-immigrant visa e-application, an international passport, their picture, receipts for all fees paid and an F-1 or M-1 certificate of eligibility,” Banerjee said. There may be other documents needed, such as a copy of their diploma, old transcripts, standardized test scores, an application to live abroad and proof of financial support.

Each case is different, and an experienced immigration lawyer will be able to advise student applicants on what they need to acquire the right type of student visa.

Annie Banerjee is a Houston immigration lawyer specializing in helping people become United States citizens. The law offices assist in visas and other legal immigration requirements as well. To learn more, visit http://www.visatous.com.

Law Offices of Annie Banerjee
131 Brooks Street, Suite #300
Sugar Land, Texas 77478
Phone: (281) 242-9139

  • Beware of Fraudulent Phone Calls
    Dear Clients, I just received a call from some fraudsters that my nomorobo app did not catch. It left a voice message which said, “There is a Legal Enforcement Action...
  • Fairness for High Skilled Immigration Act-HR-1044
    Many of you who are in some way connected to Employment Based Immigration know that Visa Numbers are set per country, and all countries get the same amount of quota....
  • The Proposed changes to H-1B lottery
    Please note that Citizenship and Immigration Service has been talking about changing the lottery system for years. Nothing was done until December 3, 2018, when Citizenship and Immigration Service published...

See other news sources publishing this article. BETA | Tags: , ,

Get headlines from Law Firm Newswire sent right to your inbox.

* indicates required