R1 and R2 Visas | Law Firm Newswire

R1 and R2 Visas

R1 and R2 visas are for those who work in the religious field. They are non-immigrant visas that permit foreign religious workers to enter the United States and perform their duties as a religious worker. In order to obtain this type of visa, the individual must have spent at least 2 years as a member of a religion that has a nonprofit branch in the US.

In order to qualify for the R1 visa, the applicant needs to be a minister, working in a professional position in the religious community or be some other kind of religious workers carrying out their duties in a religious vocation/occupation.

Those who have qualified for an R1 visa are allowed to study full time in the US, travel anywhere they wish within the country, get paid for their work, make an application for a green card and apply for an R2 visa, which is for a spouse and/or unmarried children under the age of 21. R2 visa holders have the same rights as the R1 holder, but they are not allowed to work and are not allowed to stay in the US longer than the R1 holder.